Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A day ago I had a bucket with two gallons of water and one…

Customer Question
A day ago I...

A day ago I had a bucket with two gallons of water and one cup of all purpose cleaning fluid in it and my dog licked it once so I called poison control and they said milk might help and so did my mom so I tried it. I didn't know milk was bad for dogs until I started reading it online after I already gave her a cup of milk. Last night she started acting like she was gonna throw up but no throw up was coming out. She had been doing this all night and is still doing it this morning. She hasn't been drinking that much water but she doesnt seem to be dehydrated. I brought her water and she drank some this morning but then threw up a little of it and started drinking it again. She only actually threw up once and it was just a clear liquid. She has been pooping a normal amount. I have a good feeling its because she is lactose intolerance. My vet is closed today. What should I do? Do you think she is going to be ok? She has been lazy and sleeping a lot and only tries to vommit about once an hour but nothing cones out when she does this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

Milk, like I said

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is 7 years old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog swallowed some all purpose cleaning fluid and you were instructed to give milk to help dilute it. Now your dog is showing signs of upset stomach and vomiting. I am sorry to hear about the worry this is causing you. Let me first stay that milk is not toxic to your dog, but it can cause upset stomach if they are unable to digest it. Since it appears to have caused an upset stomach our goal now is to reduce nausea and make sure she stays hydrated.

The best way to go about this is to give an over-the-counter remedy such as Pepcid. You can give this every 12 hours. Do not give any food for the next 12 hours unless you have to give some to get the Pepcid into her. After 12 hours, introduce a small amount of a bland food diet such as boiled chicken, white rice, or sweet potatoes. That should help.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

It's been over 24 hours and my dog still wont eat? It's been two days already. Is this a bad sign?
Also, my dog's vaccinations are due. Can I hold off on giving her vaccinations and give them to her after her vaccination deadline?
Because I don't want her to get more sick