Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate something bad....mopy, grumbling stomach, diarrhea in…

He ate something bad....mopy...

He ate something bad....mopy, grumbling stomach, diarrhea in the house, vomiting x 2 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Lady. i want to give bentyl now. how much for a 60 lb dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?

It no, but all 3 of my dogs ate this dumb raw hidish looking bone with pretty red stuff on the ends. not sitting well with the reimerrainer

11/18/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

It does sound suspicious that the rawhide could be affecting her - I have not used Bentyl with dogs but I believe there is some dosing info available that I can check, is Lady on any other mediation?

How recently has she vomited? I would have some concern, even if we tried to give her something to help her stomach, if it is really irritated she may not keep any medication down. Sometimes they need to have an anti-nausea injection to be able to keep awn other supportive GI medications.

Do you know what the strength is for the Bentyl that you have?

I caught her eating grass about 3 hours ago. when I called her to come in the house, she vomited 2 times prior to comi g in the house. her stomach is gurgling so much and she has even moaned a few times. it's killing me to hear her stomach and wanting to go outside often. she never has accidents in the house but she did 3 times in the past two days. I have Bentyl 20 mg tabs on hand

Poor girl :( The Bentyl should not hurt, but again may not be able to keep down if her stomach is really irritated, but you could try 1/4 of a 20mg tablet every 8 hours as needed, it is more specific for the diarrhea.

It may help to do an antacid as well, do you have anything like Pepcid AC, Prilosec, or Zantac at home?

no I do not have any of those meds but I will run and get some. which is the best and could you give me dosage and strength to buy? I would like to buy generic if that is ok
I thought I had promised but can't find it now
prolesec

Generic is fine, my first choice is the generic of Pepcid AC which is famotidine, more info here: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats-2/

For her size, you could give 1 or 1.5 of the 20mg tablets every 12 hours, and it would not have any interaction with the Bentyl.

prilosec
great! should I skip her feeding

Yes it would not hurt to let her tummy rest for a few hours, then you could try some 'bland' food - chicken and rice (or some other low fat protein and low fiber starch in equal parts), start with a small amount to make sure we keep it down, and can continue for a few meals just so what is going through is easily digestible.

If she can't keep the medication down, it really would be best to have her checked out in person to make sure no signs of a blockage, or sometimes they just need a shot to get things settled to be able to keep down oral meds.

Does that help?

Dr Beth!! Thank you very much for you help. I'm hoping she feels better by morning. thanks again for everything. God bless!
Lynette

You're very welcome - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Will do that for you and thank you again.

Thanks - and my pleasure :)

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian