Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My ten year old rescued toy poodle has retinal atrophy and…

My ten year old rescued...
My ten year old rescued toy poodle has retinal atrophy and is now totally blind. Would a companion dog be a help or a threat for her. She tolerates all dogs she meets unless they are very large and aggressive
11/18/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. You have asked a very good one that in all reality depends on the possible companion dog. If Sami is a social dog that likes company, then she may benefit from the social stimulation that a companion would provide. Could the other dog be one that is more challenging for her and just not be a good fit? That is the unknown. There just is no way to know how the situation would play out till the situation is there. If you were considering getting another dog, I would make sure that you are also doing it for yourself and your family as you want to add an additional pet into the house.

Thank you so very much. We will give this much thought and consideration.

Getting a new addition to the family is one that I try to encourage a lot of thought and consideration. It is a big decision in that it does change the dynamics of the household - hopefully for the best - for many, many years as that pet is happy and healthy for a long, long, long time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sami. How is everything going?
Sami is adjusting much better than any human!!! She does everything she did before her blindness, and we find it fascinating how she uses other senses. She is doing great, we are doing 'better'. thank you Dr. Bruce, and happy Thanksgiving;
Patt Thompson

That is awesome that she's doing so well. Her blindness is not a disability, it is an enabling for her to hone her other senses. I've seen a few totally blind dogs over my career and they almost always are very happy and very social pets! I wish you, Sami, and you family a happy Thanksgiving too!!!

Thank you for all your encouragement!
Absolutely no problem. I wish I could have you help to show future owners with blind dogs how well they can do! The unknown scares owners and being able to see what can be possible makes them feel so much better. Give Sami a good ear scratching for me since I can’t! Take care!!

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian