Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had bad diarrhea & had blood coming from the penis.

Customer Question
Hi, my dog had...

Hi, my dog had bad diarrhea & had blood coming from the penis. The diarrhea also had blood in it but I think that was due to his backside being sore. He was also sick a couple of time. After going to the vet they examined him & said they could not find anything serious but gave him a course of antibiotics which he took for 7 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

The antibiotics did not work & he went back to the vets. They have given him a different course of antibiotics and some new food to try. He does not have such bad diarrhea now but seems more to be straining to go to the toilet & doing little bits of soft or sloppy feces now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

His name is Monty

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Monty. How old is he and is he intact (not neutered), please?

He is 9 and intact

Thank you. His bleeding from his penis is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of acute prostatitis in intact dogs. Less commonly, it indicates urinary calculi (stones) in the urethra, penile trauma, or prostatic adenocarcinoma. Changes in the stool quality are common with prostatitis as it's painful to defecate and straining (tenesmus) - occasionally with blood - is often seen. Monty's vet needs to rectally and abdominally palpate Monty's prostate gland for irregularity in shape and size as well as pain. If prostatitis is present - and occasionally only prostatic ultrasound can clarify this - castration and 2-4 weeks of an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland such as enrofloxacin or trmethoprim-sulfa should be curative. An antibiotic alone might suffice but it would need to be given for 4-6 weeks and recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) is common. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Would this also make him sick?

Yes, a general malaise is expected with acute prostatitis. If "sick" means vomiting, yes, he could become nauseated and vomit with this infection. All cases of acute prostatitis involve infection and if the infection involves the kidneys, dogs can become systemically ill. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

My other dog had that 2 years ago and had to be castrated but with him he was off his food, very stiff & could hardly move, had pain when he tried to lift his leg or bend down & also had problems trying to urinate. Monty does not have any of that & is eating just as normal?

Symptoms can vary with prostatits but it's certainly possible that Monty suffers from another disorder that can cause penile bleeding and diarrhea as I mentioned above. What has his vet told you about Monty's penile bleeding?

He has just been treating it as a parasite infection & said he may need to take a test from his gut next.

Please note that with the exception of the rare bladder worm Capillaria, there aren't any parasites that cause penile bleeding. Monty's vet is overlooking an important clue to Monty's illness. it isn't unreasonable to perform a fecal ova and parasite exam but even if intestinal parasites are found, they won't explain penile bleeding.

Ok, thanks. I will pass all this chat over to him & let you know how it goes.

You're welcome to share our conversation with your vet. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.