Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pitbull, female, has hive looking bumps all over her

Customer Question
My pitbull, female, has...

My pitbull, female, has hive looking bumps all over her body. Not on her face, but everywhere else. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sydney. She's almost seven.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sydney?

She has a history with this. In the past I have brought her in, and they have given her steroids or a Benadryl shot. It's just extremely costly. I was hoping there may be a remedy I could try at home.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, you can administer an over the counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 50 mg now and again at 8-12 hour intervals. In most cases these dogs will normalize within 36 hours unaided. You appear to be describing an urticarial reaction (hives and wheals) that arises due to hypersensitivity to a food, vaccination, envenomation, drug, or plant. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.