Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 12. She ia a cocapoo. Has been pooping a lot of.

Customer Question
My dog is 12...

My dog is 12. She ia a cocapoo. Has been pooping a lot of

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ginger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?

The vet knows she has a small tumor on her bladder that we have been treating her for.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many times a day is she going?

Has the stool been loose or firm? Smaller or larger volumes?

What treatments is she specifically on?

Any change to her urination?

Any straining?

I live it Connecticut, she started last evening around 11:30pm. No straining, This has continued about 5 times thereafter where the poop amoung got smaller, and the last was all blood. In addition, she vomited twice and she is just sitting in one position. It is 6:10 am here now. So this has been going on about 1 x per hour all night.She is currently on ursodial for gallbladder
proviable
piroxican 2.5 mg 1pd
azodone 1/2 pill per eveningShe has always been excellent about going outside but she started peeing in the house about 3 weeks ago so we changed her water routine andd introduced the trazadone, which has helped
We plan on taking her to the vet, knowing she is pretty ill I would like to be armed with the right questions.

Hello again,

Now when we see increased fecal straining (tenesmus) and fresh blood in the feces this suggests a problem in the colon. Specifically, we can see this with anal gland disease (less likely here), parasitic infection (ie whipworms, Giardia, coccidia) and with inflammation/infection of the colon (colitis). Furthermore, given that Ginger is on the Piroxicam, I cannot exclude that as a cause since it can cause bleeding GI ulcers (though usually its upper/stomach based ones with black stool). And just to note, any of these causing inflammation in the colon will lead to nausea/vomiting as a side effect.

Now I am glad you do plan on having her to the local vet once they are open. In the meantime, we can start some supportive care. For general inflammation and inflammatory colitis, this can sometimes be settled with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, since we have stomach/GI ulceration concerns alongside a bit of vomiting, I'd suggest starting an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or we could use a liquid one (ie Milk of Magnesia -0.25tsp every 12 hours) to coat her stomach as we monitor. And if you were keen, you could also use OTC Panacur/Fenbendazole to exclude parasites but those are lesser worries at this stage. And once her vet sees her, we can narrow down our suspects and start gastroprotectants. Of course, if she were to have any paling of her gums or bell pain we'd want her seen sooner for ulcer concerns.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you............we Love our pup

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am glad she is loving hands there. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian