Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie puppy just ate a very tiny amount of Belgium dark…

Customer Question
Hi my Yorkie puppy...

Hi my Yorkie puppy just ate a very tiny amount of Belgium dark chocolate truffle with sea salt. I was able to catch him before he ate the piece. The piece was half of one truffle which is 14g. Will he be okay ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkie's name?

His name is*****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chester?

He has a very sensitive stomach but he's mischievous and gets into things wether I hide them or not like garbage bin or outside. He is about 3 months old weighs 3 to 4 lb

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Glad to call you back ...

Dr Scott

.

Please answer my question I paid

Please accept the phone request and I will be glad to call you back at once ...

Dr Scott

If you would prefer a written reply please let me know ...

Standing by ...

written please

no problem, just typing it up now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Chester very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. He may perhaps have a mild transient tummy upset, but really I would not expect worse than that. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 3 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 0.9 ozs of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. { 14 g = 0.49 ounces } so what he ate was below any toxic level. Basically he should be just fine ...

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Chester's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Very helpful information thank you doctor. I will keep an eye on him all night.. and keep him hydrated. If he starts to get diarrhea should I take him to the vet ?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. It could well be that he will not show any symptoms of any sort, but with that amount of chocolate if vomiting or diarrhoea does occur it is likely to be very minor and should pass on it's own, so no need to take him to a vet unless things are getting out of hand.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you. I've had many dogs before and a few times they ate milk chocolate which only caused diarrhea and it was a lot more worst I didn't them to the hospital and it passed and they were fine. I just needed re assurance especially for the small amount He ingested.Chester is being his normal self right now so I think he will be okay

The chances are he will be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Chester is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dark chocolate truffle ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott