Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His anal glands are swollen and he has licked his raw. Beau…

His anal glands are...

His anal glands are swollen and he has licked his butt raw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Beau and he is 2and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Beau?

2 1/2

He is a chi Boston terrier mix
I tried to squeeze them but it agrivated him so I stopped I am on disability and just wondered if I can do more going to a vet right now is impossible because I am broke till the 1st
Is anyone there???
11/18/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now to see your lad licking himself raw with swollen glands suggests an gland infection or blockage.

With this in mind, as Beau sounds very sore then we'd want to get those glands expressed. Now I appreciate costs are a concern but ring your vets as some will allow this to be done by a nurse for a reduced cost. And that would be ideal as they can safely (for Beau and them) express the gland and check that there isn't sign of infection (which would need antibiotics). Otherwise, you could consider having a local groomer check his glands. If you are keen and have someone to hold him for you, you could also try to gently express them at home (How To HERE @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ__BbuOmVc). Of course, if we were to see any pus or water discharge (normal discharge looks like marmite/brown and thick) then again its a sign of infection and we'd need antibiotics to nip any infection in the bud.

Finally, I wanted to note that since funds are a concern, there is help if you did want a vet locally to see him. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help sort these glands but also dispense dog safe pain relief and antibiotics as needed to get him feeling 100%

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please use the **STARS** to rate me as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you! This is included in your question fee. : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian