Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just began acting frantic. Started biting/nipping at…

Customer Question
My dog just began...

My dog just began acting frantic. Started biting/nipping at the carpet and is now outside frantically eating grass.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Dia, about seven years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dia?

This afternoon the left side of her mouth just behind the edge of her lip she had a small swollen area and was pawing at her snout. We assumed she had caught a small bee and gave her a benadryl. The swelling went down and she stopped pawing at her snout. Now this.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Panting. Gums are warm. Just drank a lot of water and is sitting calmly at my feet. Was given another benedryl about and hour and a half ago.
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What dose of Benadryl did you give and what does Dia weigh?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian