Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a pomeranian and she was coughing really badly a few…

Customer Question
I have a pomeranian...

I have a pomeranian and she was coughing really badly a few days ago which is has been having an on and off cough for the past few years now but the yet hasn't said anything about it. Today I've noticed her having a very fast and heavy breathing pattern. She also has no energy as she tries to walk up the steps and gets stuck or falls down a few

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Mitzi and she's 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mitzi?

"

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She also comes up to me and then when i pet her softly Shelll scream in pain and run away
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is it a harsh of soft cough?

Has she had any fainting?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

It’s a Harsh cough as if she has a collapsed trachea. No nasal discharge. And her breathing count is about 90 per minute

Hello again,

My apologies I was called away urgently to a family emergency.

Now given that Mitzi has had a cough for years that is now worsened and is harsh, I am concerned that she does have an underlying degree of tracheal collapse that is being worsened by throat based inflammation or infection (ie Parainfluenza, Bordetella). Furthermore at her age, we'd also have to keep polyps and growths in the throat in mind. And with a breathing rate 3x normal for a dog at rest, there is concern of lung involvement (ie pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis).

Now given that her breathing rate is too high at rest (especially if she perhaps has pale gums since that is a sign of low oxygen despite quick breathing), we'd really want to have her seen at this point. That way we can get her vet listening +/- xraying those lungs to determine which issue is present. As well, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, bronchodilators, +/- oxygen can be used to ease her signs.

Any delay and we can try to at least reduce her cough with a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving her to cough.

Overall, I am concerned that Mitzi has had a mild tracheal collapse for a while but that something more is worsening it. In turn that is causing issue with her breathing which is why she hasn't energy as normal and is falling. So we'd want to get her seen as soon as we can for the above, to pinpoint our cause and treat to ease her signs and help her settle.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian