Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a raw/hot spot under her hind and is licking it.

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a raw/hot spot under her hind and is licking it. Wondering if I can put anything on it to help it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Goldie 6.5 years

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Goldie is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Hot Spot is rarely a dangerous condition but it does have a high nuisance value both for the dog and owner. Having said that I have known clients independently treat Hot Spot on an over the counter drug basis and report success using the likes of 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for a week. It is important to cut the hair from round the affected area if possible and washing the area with luke warm salt water and then dabbing it dry with some clean kitchen paper before applying the cream will also help.

3. Of course if this skin lesion does not quickly resolve then you should have your local vet check your dog over as other skin diseases can mimic the appearance of " Hot Spot " But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Goldie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Goldie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Hot Spot issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian