Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Look red and swollen and slams his on floor and ground.

Customer Question

Look red and swollen and slams his butt on floor and ground li
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Husky lab mix
JA: OK. What is the husky's name and age?
Customer: He’s 8 would the cream hurt him
JA: What is the husky's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: No he’s usually pretty health ear infections now and then
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it ok to try a little hemeroid cream
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now given Toby's signs, I'd be concerned that he may have an anal gland infection or blockage. Peri-rectal skin irritation secondary to allergies can also appear this way.

With this in mind, if he is very sore then we'd want to consider having his local vet or groomer check his glands. If you are keen and have someone to hold him for you, you could also try to gently express them at home (How To HERE @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ__BbuOmVc). Of course, if we were to see any pus or water discharge (normal discharge looks like marmite) then we'd need his vet to dispense antibiotics to nip any infection in the bud.

Otherwise, if you did wish to rule out allergies (ideal if this started right after the Advantix), you could try him with an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, I'd not suggest using haemorrhoid cream here but you can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream. Of course, with any topical treatments, we cannot let them lick it off, so you may need to use an ecollar here to block his access to the area.

Overall, his do raise a few concerns. So, we'd want to take the above steps at this stage. But if he is very sore or doesn't settle with the above, then we'd want his local vet to assess him. Depending on their findings, this could just be a inflammation of the glands and treating with antibiotics/pain relief may settle this for him. Further to this if he does have allergies then you may want to have his vet dispense a strong treatment to soothe that irritation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please use the **STARS** to rate me as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you! This is included in your question fee. : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.