Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is struggling to breathe. He has had an X-ray on his…

Customer Question
My dog is struggling...

My dog is struggling to breathe. He has had an X-ray on his chest and lungs. Both check out okay. He has been on an antibiotic for 10 days and that is not helping either. He can't sleep for more than 15 seconds because he stops breathing. Do you have any ideas to help him breathe?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Patches

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patches?

He is 12. He is a King Charles Cavalier. He is in good health despite the breeds heart issues.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Patches. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help from a Just Answer expert before now.

When he has these breathing problems, are his gums pink or do they look pale?

Is he eating normally?

When a small breed dog is having breathing problems, and a chest Xray is normal, I next check for "pulmonary hypertension", PH, a condition of the blood vessels in the lungs. X-rays can be normal, but this is a serious condition.

I would ask your vet to refer her for an echocardiogram to check for PH. There is medication to treat it, but it is by prescription.

I did not hear back from you; how is Patches doing?

Was my answer helpful?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian