Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 25lb puppy ate some andes candy and i dont know how much

he ate JA: I'm sorry to...
My 25lb puppy ate some andes candy and i dont know how much he ate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: No
11/18/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily this is not all chocolate, do you have an approximate amount ingested? Or how long ago?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
An hour ago and i think he only ate a couple pieces it was the mint cookie crunch ones
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
With the wrappers

Very likely with this ingestion you will not note any issues, especially if only a few pieces were ingested and it sounds like they were even less than the amount of chocolate in the regular forms they sell. Regardless please monitor for symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

I do not think inducing vomiting is necessary but tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then he should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom

Again I don't think this will be an issue, even the wrappers will digest to some degree and pass without incident. I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
if hes napping now he should be ok

Yes he should be just fine but chocolate upset is not immediate, it can take 2-4 hours to see effects so please monitor closely tonight

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian