Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog has phemonia what can I do about it at home?

Customer Question
I think my dog...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Has coughing, bad weight loss, discharge in eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Pooter and is 11 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pooter?

Yes, Pooter has some what of an open wound on her side by her nipple, it won't heal

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Pooter.

1. How long has she been losing weight, had an eye discharge, and coughing?
  2. Is she still willing to eat and drink?
  3. Is she spayed? If yes was she spayed after or before her first heat cycle?
  4. Is she running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103.5F)?
  5. How long has she had an open wound on her side near her nipple?
  6. Is there a mass or firm feeling area around the area of the wound?

Primary pneumonia in dogs is extremely rare.

We can see it secondary to complications from some viruses like Distemper and Influenza. Those dogs generally have other symptoms too like vomiting and diarrhea, a high fever and severe lethargy. With Distemper we can see tremors and seizures too.

If she is not spayed then with her symptoms I would be very concerned about mammary cancer with metastatic spread to her lungs, which has caused her cough. Dogs with cancer, especially with metastatic cancer, often lose weight because of the cancer's effect on their metabolic rate and using calories to grow and spread. Many dogs with cancer eat poorly as welll, and that contributes to weight loss.

In dogs mammary cancer incidence is much higher in unspayed dogs. Dogs spayed before their first heat very rarely get mammary tumors. 50% of mammary tumors are benign and removal is curative in dogs. But 50% are malignant and those invade into deep tissues and spread to local lymph nodes, and distant sites including the lungs and liver.

I know that you would prefer to treat her at home, but that is not possible with mammary cancer.
She does need to see a veterinarian.

In the meantime try to keep her as quiet as possible. The more active she is the more she will cough and the more she coughs the worse she will feel.

Use humidifiers to moisten the air that she breathes as that is soothing to her airways. You can also take her into the bathroom with you when you run a hot shower or bath so she can breathe in the steam.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.
If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state
Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Best of luck with Pooter, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian