Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 year old shih Tzu - may have been exposed to dog flu,

Customer Question
6 year old shih...

6 year old shih Tzu - may have been exposed to dog flu, trembling, coughing, nasal discharge for 10 days was given an antiviral injection 11/011, not getting better.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Rufus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rufus?

When examined by vet on 11/11 mentioned shallow breathing and heart failure

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 5 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected.

If coughing and/or sneezing with nasal discharge AND if running a fever, absolutely, canine flu is a consideration, and needs much better aggressive supportive therapy. Canine flu can get quite serious and doesn't tend to respond just to a course of antibiotics like a simple kennel cough bacterial infection would respond.

Not sure about the vet mentioning heart failure? If they heard any fluid in the lungs (any fluid at all!!!), you need to request an immediate chest x-ray, ideally reviewed by a radiologist, to confirm if the heart is a concern or not.
Treatment for heart failure is very different and includes diuretic treatment to pull fluid out of the lungs. However! If there is no failure and there is pneumonia, giving a diuretic could make a pet far worse!!

No clue what a antiviral injection would be that they gave. If anything, you really need antibiotics for secondary infection, fluids, if not eating and drinking, and the chest x-ray.

Sounds to me like your best decision wold be to simply bring your pet to another local vet for a complete second opinion on what is going on with the respiratory infection, as well as, what is the status of concern for heart issues.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director