Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

MY DOG SWALLOWED TWO CHICKEN WINGS THE MIDDLE PART OF THE

WING THAT HAS THE TWO...
MY DOG SWALLOWED TWO CHICKEN WINGS THE MIDDLE PART OF THE WING THAT HAS THE TWO SMALL BONES SHE DIDNT CHEW IT SO NO SMALLER BONES OR FRAGMENTS
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ANNABELLE ABOUT 4 OR 5 YEARS OLD SHE IS A CATAHULA NOT SURE HOW TO SPELL IT
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: ANNABELLE
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ANNABELLE?
Customer: SHE IS A THIEF BUT NO HEALTH PROBLEMS
11/18/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Hopefully Annabelle will get away with this, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor her and see what happens. In my experience most dogs will get way with this, but this is all you can now do at present as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid sharp objects like the chicken wings as the bones could cause damage to the throat on the way back up. That said if this has happened in the last hour then feeding your dog some slices of bread or some mashed potato is a good idea, you see the potato or bread may form round any sharp bone fragments at help protect your dog's alimentary tract as the fragments pass along. This may well help ...

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your dog to swallow this chicken wing whole means it should be small enough to pass OK. Also some digestion and softening of chicken bones is possible in your dog's stomach and this will greatly help as well.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though ...

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Annabelle's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian