Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He’s a 12 week old golden doodle, he’s panting more than…

Customer Question
He’s a 12 week...

He’s a 12 week old golden doodle, he’s panting more than normal and I’ve noticed his stool is pretty loose with some snot looking stuff in it. Wasn’t sure what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Golden's name?

Tucker

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?

He was diagnosed with Parvo about 2 and a half weeks ago. He’s way better and off those antibiotics now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Tucker. Is he eating? Any vomiting?

The "snot stuff" is mucus, a sign of inflammation in his colon. He could be having a parvo relapse, but that is not very common. He may have another infection, or may have eaten something that is disagreeing with him.

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pink in color, or pale?

If his gums are pink and he is eating, that is a good sign he is not seriously ill. You might consider having a stool sample tested for microscopic parasites.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

No vomiting, still eating, gums are a light pink. I’m not sure what kind of pink they are supposed to be.

Pink is good, but it is normally "bubble gum" pink. If he has pigment on his gums that can affect the color.

Good there is no vomiting and he is eating. I might have him tested for parasites if the diarrhea continues. You can try a little Imodium or Pepto Bismal; how much does he weigh?

I would guess he’s 12 pounds

He cold take 1 to 2 teaspoons of Pepto, or 1/4th of an Imodium if the diarrhea persists.

How is he doing? Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have any other questions.