Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My miniature poodle ate several pieces of Dove chocolate. He…

My miniature poodle ate...

My miniature poodle ate several pieces of Dove chocolate. He is now very hyper and is shaking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie and he is 2 1/2 years of age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

He weighs about 7 lbs.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

2. Was this milk chocolate or dark chocolate and can you estimate how many ounces may have been swallowed ?

3.

There was both milk and dark chocolate.
I don't know how much he consumed but at the most it would have been 7 or 8 small pieces.

How long ago?

Within the last 2 or 3 hours.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** out your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Charlie very much, you may perhaps see very minor symptoms such as shaking, being hyper or vomiting, but these should pass in a few hours. So there are no special measures you need take for now other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate { which is much more toxic than milk chocolate } mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 7 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 2.1 ozs { Half a regular 4 oz bar } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. And if some of this was milk chocolate then this is very much a plus point.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Charlie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you very much, that is most comforting. I will continue to watch him. Is it OK to feed him regular food at this time?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Just feed him as normal, he should be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you very much.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott