Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 year old mix pup about 8lbs..The last couple days

Customer Question
he didn't eat much.This morning...
I have a 2 year old mix pup about 8lbs..The last couple days he didn't eat much.This morning I made chicken and rice which he ate.We went out on the boat and he threw up.we came home he is lathargic,druelling,can't walk or lift his head.temp seems to be stable.no appetite and he loves to eat.I put cold compresses on his face.Please help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pup. What is the pup's name?
Customer: napolean
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Napolean?
Customer: He is always happy running the sand bars .he is not one to pick up anything except dog food
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
There are so many things that can cause a pet to become lethargic, depressed and unwilling to eat. The first most important thing is to try to determine if there was anything that he got into...any new treats or food, garbage, etc.
I'd you are sure that all has stayed the same, then we have to look at other internal things.
These symptoms can be caused by a primary intestinal issue or a secondary metabolic. If it is a primary intestinal issue and you are sure that he didn't get into anything, then a little time, bland diet and stomach medications might help him. Now if it is more serious like pancreatitis, he may not improve on his own and may need to be seen by your vet and treated.
You can certainly try to rest his stomach for several hours, give him pepcid AC or famotidine 2.5 mg twice daily. You can pick it up at any pharmacy. It might help to calm his stomach. Still with small meals and easily digestible foods like chicken broth and chicken Gerber baby food, chicken breast and rice.If he is not improving or getting drastically worse, then you will need to take him in for an exam and possible blood work looking for any secondary problems.
Keep him calm and rested, provide small intermittent meals after the pepcid and if not showing any signs of improving, then please make an appointment to see your vet. You want to be safe and ensure that it is nothing serious. His symptoms are so nonspecific at this time that the array of things that could be causing his symptoms is great.
Please keep me posted on how things are going or if you have any questions.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
I will check in with you later.Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian