Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is mixed Pomeranian that I was told is about 9 years…

Customer Question
My dog is mixed...

My dog is mixed Pomeranian that I was told is about 9 years old (adopted). I was told her labs show she has low thyroid. The only symptom she seems to display is moderately dry skin. She is a big time mouth breather as well. The doctor will be giving me a prescription for thyroid meds as well. Should I add a little iodine to her food. Should I add kelp or anything else to her diet. I have hypothyroid and take decassated thyroid and supplement with iodine and added kelp and got rid of any fluoride and my thyroid is fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Kotton

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kotton?

She is not over weight or lethargic and she has an organic dog food

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Most quality dog foods have more than adequate amounts of iodine in it, so adding more to the diet often will not be utilized. The purpose of the replacement thyroid medication is to get around a thyroid gland that is not responding properly to normal hormonal stimulation. The thyroid medication will take care of the low thyroid levels perfectly well. No supplements are required, nor are they recommended in dogs.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda

Hello, again. I see you have viewed my response & wonder if you have any further questions or concerns. If not, please do not forget to rate my reply as this is the only manner in which I may receive credit for helping you. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian