Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog isn’t eating and today it seemed like he wanted to…

Customer Question
My dog isn’t eating...

My dog isn’t eating and today it seemed like he wanted to throw up but didn’t. Is that normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No he didn’t but he just stretched and almost like when cats throw up their hair ball..He had been eating white rice and chicken but we’ve been trying to give him regular dog food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Stache and he is about 1 1/2. He belongs to my sister but she leaves him to us to take care of him while she’s at work.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stache?

He Was in an accident with my sister and I’m not sure if she took to him to the vet for a check up.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I was Just wondering if it was normal for my dog not to eat. There’s days when he does and others where he just ignores the food.

Sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this.

That dry heaving could be one of a few things. In an older dog, I'd worry about bloat where the stomach twists. In a younger dog like this, I would be more concerned about Kennel Cough. This is an infection of the trachea/ windpipe. They will often times cough and gag and then retch, though not much comes out.

The diagnosis is usually made based on the signs and the sensitivity when we palpate the trachea. We treat with a cough suppressant and an antibiotic (often times Doxycycline). In the mean time, you could give some Robitussin DM at home. I give 1/4 teaspoon to small dogs, 1/2 to medium size dogs and 1 to large breed dogs; up to every 8 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

The lack in appetite is pretty common when dogs are away from their normal surroundings. It's it's intermittent like that, I don't get too worried. Just try to keep him on a scheduled feeding regimen. This is ideal vs free feeding where food is left out all the time. It trains then to eat when offered and it's the best way to prevent obesity in dogs.

Alright thank you so much! I will do as you say and see how he responds.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian