Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Reading up on why a dog would scream during euthanasia. My…

Customer Question
Reading up on why...

Reading up on why a dog would scream during euthanasia. My dog was pts today. Two injections, within 2 seconds of the first injection he lifted his head, lent it against my neck and screamed. I am not mourning my dog as i should be, i am torturing myself with a devastatingly traumatic euthanasia process.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Murphy. Would have turned two yo this month.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Murphy?

1 year and 11 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?

Inoperable kidney cancer

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation. I'll be very honest here based on my experiences. At my ER, unfortunately we have a fair number of owners coming in for euthanasia as their pet has gotten worse with a medical condition when their regular vet isn't available. The euthanasia process is one that we try to make as peaceful and easy for an owner as possible. We place an IV catheter so direct venous access is there to give the injections. I personally give an initial dose of a sedative and then wait a couple minutes to let them get really quiet before giving the actual injection of the euthanasia solution. One thing that I have had happen over my career with two cases is that they did get vocal despite all this when the euthanasia solution was given. Why did this happen? Sometimes the euthanasia solution can cause some stimulation as it is being injected in the vein. It can irritate that vessel if it isn't diluted or they are just more sensitive due to what ever else is going on. The euthanasia solution can and dose simulate the brain and it can cause some stimulation as it lets them get into a deeper level of anesthesia, but some can be vocal with this. When an animal is induced for anesthesia for say a spay or neuter, every once in a while they can be a little stimulated before they are anesthetized. The euthanasia solution is actually an overdose of a barbiturate that does anesthetize them first. I know it is hard to see this happen. Please know that it went fast and now he's at peace.