Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our yorkie has been a little lethargic for the last 24 hours…

Customer Question
Hi, our yorkie has been...
Hi, our yorkie has been a little lethargic for the last 24 hours and is walking around fine but is hunching his back when he goes to rest, lay around, etc... His stool was fine yesterday but today was very watery, diarrhea...could this just be constipation and it will pass? Or do we need to get him to a vet right away? He's been like this before and it usually passes in a day or two...
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Nothing that we’re aware of.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Dan, when a dog is hunching their back like Charlie this is a sign of abdominal pain or back pain. The fact that he has diarrhea suggests that it is likely abdominal pain. Possible causes could be dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes. I don't believe this is constipation if he has or had diarrhea.

In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause Charlie will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I would try to have him checked today by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. Do not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian