Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been throwing up or dry heaving for 24 hours.

Customer Question
Very lethargic. Won’t eat or...
My dog has been throwing up or dry heaving for 24 hours. Very lethargic. Won’t eat or drink. Will eat grass. Still urinating.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Not sure what she might have eaten. Started vomiting Wednesday night (Thursday morning) around 1am and continually for about 4-5 hours.Gums are light pink. Not dry but not wet.Doesn’t seem to have tenderness or pain in abdomen.Could have eaten anything really. We have caught her eating dead birds, dead baby squirrels, dryer sheets (which we had to pull out).She got her shots last week and has since been acting odd. Turns around and bites at backside. Noticed the other day she was sitting to eat.Just not her perky self, eyes don’t look bright.

Hello again,

First, I would note that her anorexia will be due to the same nausea causing the vomiting. Therefore, we do need to tackle that to break her fast as well as soothe her vomiting. Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (which does sound a worry here). Just to note, if she is uncomfortable with her back end, we may also have anal gland issues. So, we do need to keep an eye on that as well. And if those gums are much paler then usual we would want her seen now as that can be an internal bleeding or GI circulation compromise from blockage.

Otherwise if the gums aren't very pale, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach and see if we can get her eating. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if she cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, do make sure her eyes aren't sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she is very pale, cannot keep that down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like her self.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you for your help. She just drank a small amount of water. She is walking oddly. She’s usually flat back but seems to look more cat like scrunched up in the middle. I will contact my vet this morning as I don’t want to deal with something more serious over the weekend. Thank you again.

Hello again,

That is good that she is drinking a bit, hopefully once we have an antacid on board she will be even more keen. Though do keep a close eye as hunching like that is a sign of abdominal discomfort in dogs. So, pancreatitis, a blockage form something she's eaten, stomach ulcer, or severe gastritis would be even more a concern here. And if that hunching continues despite supportive care then we'd want her seen as soon as her vet can do so.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok. Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian