Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pibble mix, 50 lbs one year old got into my purse and ate…

Customer Question
My pibble mix, 50...

My pibble mix, 50 lbs one year old got into my purse and ate my Zomigtripiphan (sp?) migraine disentigrating tabs....about 15 mg ...this was most likely about 5am or over 2.5 hours ago. She is acting fine. I am freaking out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

My dog.....please read

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Dari

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dari?

I put it in the original text

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this isn't a drug we use in dogs, therefore, there is no safe dosing range we can refer to for Dari. Furthermore, we can only extrapolate from human adverse signs (GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, lethargy). Therefore, we do need to tread with care.

Now given that we are >2 hours since ingestion, we would be best to consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound (50-200 grams for her size). This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we need to monitor her closely. Any of the above signs, changes in thirst/urination, or any changes to behaviour in the next 6-12 hours and we'd want her local vet to see her for assessment and IV fluids to flush this out. If you do want to err on the side of caution, they can do that and give charcoal now. Else while you monitor, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. But again as its not a medicine used in dogs, we cannot assess risk with this dose and would just want to tread with care even if she is normal at this point. But if we monitor and see no signs over the next 24 hours, then we'd assume we are out of the woods.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**