Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog seems to be having muscle twitches. When she is

Customer Question
Hi. My dog seems...

Hi. My dog seems to be having muscle twitches. When she is sitting on my lap I can feel the movements in different parts of her body. It started last night. At first I thought she had the hiccups when I could feel the bed start moving. She still has it this morning. what could it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Penelope. She is 2 years old. She is a Pomarian Mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penelope?

She just seems more skiddish and nervous than her normal calm self lately.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Dumb question but when she is sitting on your lap is she sleeping?

Does she do this when not on your lap?

Paul

she was doing it while just laying down last night. Still happening this morning.
( No such thing as a dumb question doctor!)

Ha ha ha- OKay

Now when she was doing it last night you say that she was lying down/sleeping?
Paul

She wasnt sleeping...she was just lying down. I thought she had hiccups...but it wasn't that. i was scared for a moment that she was going to have a seizure or something...but other than that ..she seems to be acting ok. I little more clingy that normal.

Thanks.

Well she is two years old so that is in her favour,

Here are my thoughts:

This could be a metabolic thing so you should check her electrolytes and calcium etc etc(blood test)

If the blood work is normal then we could be dealing with a seizure event since it is intermittent and occurs when she is relaxed (low brain activity)

You could try and wake her up/ get her moving to see if they stop (in which case that is good) or you could give an anti-seizure drug like valium per rectum to see if they stop (too drastic in my book)- hence a seizure episode.

Personally if blood is fine I would try the distraction test but not the Valium one.

I know that all of my dogs had little twitches when they were resting/sleeping. So this could be a NORMAL thing.

Make sense?

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
She has had a few twitches here and there, and the hiccups a minute ago, but seems ok. How can we tell if it’s a seizure?

I think you are fine here.

I am not worried :)

If it was a seizure then you would see more profound signs

Have a good evening and please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian