Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is sneezing a lot, has continuous eye discharge that…

Customer Question
My dog is sneezing...

My dog is sneezing a lot, has continuous eye discharge that is white and boogery, and squints a lot. She has been very restive throughout the night even though active throughout the day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Molly 1 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

She is a yellow lab, 65 lbs, female, spayed.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is the discharge from one or both eyes?

Any changes to the eyeball (ie clouding, hazing, ulcers, scratches, redness, etc) themselves?

She has had the discharge 2 weeks - white and boogery in both eyes. The sneezing started 5 days ago.
Eyes seem normal in color. She is sleeping a lot and seems lethargic

Hello again,

Now when we have these types of signs, we have 2 considerations. We can see eye discharge alongside sneezing with upper airway infections (ie bacterial, viral) but can also see increased sneezing secondary to eye issues (as the increased discharge also drains from the tear duct into the nostrils). So, not only do we have to consider airway infections for Molly but also possible primary bacterial conjunctivitis. Corneal ulcers, glaucoma, and internal eye infections can also manifest this way but sound less likely if the eyes look otherwise normal.

With this all in mind, we can start by trying to address the suspect conjunctivitis. To do so, you can flush the eyes 2-3 times daily with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. OTC Terramycin eye drops form your local farm supply could also be used. Furthermore, just to reduce sneezing associated with airway infections, you can use steam treatment. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. Furthermore, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. If we use these and she settles, we're happy. Though if this lingers more than a few days despite the above, then we'd want Molly's vet to see her with a view to confirming our concerns and starting antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian