Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6lb chi and he ate 1/2 of a large dog dose of

Customer Question
I have a 6lb...

I have a 6lb chi and he ate 1/2 of a large dog dose of Triflexis. He’s very lethargic. I went to vet ER at 1:00 am and his vital

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Vital showed a little high temp and said he’s stable. They have you call SPCA poison center, though at 1:30 am still was on hold and the recording says they charge $65 to ask a question. Why couldn’t the vet advise me what to do, why are they dependent on poison control since vets experience a lot of this type cases. It’s like a scam. I paid over $1,000 2 weeks ago, vet prices are breaking me, esp in San Francisco. He hasn’t thrown up but I’m sick worrying about him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Rocky, ACC doesn’t know exact age, they said about 9 months

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

You have nothing to worry about.

The Milbemycin in this product is totally safe

The Spinosad in the product may be causing the lethargy but I would not expect anything worse then that.

Paul

Isn’t that large of dose do great damage since the amount taken is for 60-80lb dogs and he’s only 6 pounds. Should I get him to try and eat or drink or just let him sleep?
I worry about the spinosad dosage

Well lets do the math:

Can you send me the Spinosad dosage in the pill that he ate.

And you said he was 6 pounds correct?

Where is that listed?

I get 125mg Spinosad/2 or 62.5mg

There are studies with dogs getting 1400mg/kg with only lethargy depression and diarrhea.

Paul

The large dose of this drug has 125mg Spinosad in it. Sorry I was asking a rhetorical question

Paul

The box says for dgs 60-120 lbs. my Rocky is only 6 lbs. he ate about 1/2 a pill

Yes. Way ahead of you LOL

See my notes above

I’m concerned cause he’s so small
How does that affect him, is the amount going to kill him. Other ER case was going to take a while. Why couldn’t they advise me. That’s why I left. Any suggestions. He’s warm. I have cool wash cloth on his tummy and covered in a blanket. How long will he be out of it and lethargic?

I appreciate your concern.

But he did not ingest that high a dose.

We will want to keep an eye on him for the next 6-8 hours but he does not have to go back to the ER

I am here if you need me and suggest you update me in an hour okay?

He is going to be fine.

Paul

If he doesn’t eat in the morning, can i give him a pill to help him with appetite
He didn’t eat dinner, just had little PCs of chicken with crunched up PCs of the triflexis. Gave him from the wrong box as I couldn’t find my glasses. How long will he be lethargic? It’s been about 7 hours now, he’s so out of it
I haven’t seen him vomit but didn’t hold his pee when I picked him up to take him to ER. Should I give him water occasionally with med dispenser?

No.

I would just prepare something tasty like cooked hamburger and rice

Hopefully he will be back on track by then

6-8 hours should be all it takes.

Watch the lethargy and monitor for vomiting and further depression.

And offer water in small amounts every hour

Paul

What do u mean by depression? Like lethargy?
If I contact this site tomorrow, will there be a diff Dr, will they have my case file?

Yes depression=lethargy

I will be here for a few hours still and can work with you and will also be available tomorrow

Will see this through with you

Paul

And to confirm the the dosage that he took in will cause the lethargy but this will resolve

Paul

I can’t see what the spinosad mg is for the big dog box, do you see that amount? And will he live through this poison amount? It’s sad that vets experience this with customers as seen blogs on google. Would he have been put on fluids? Is it ok to use a cool wash cloth on his neck/stomach cause he is very warm.

In the literature dogs ingesting 1400mg/kg did not die (sorry to be blunt).

They did had lethargy, GI upset and weakness

We are at 1/4 that amount

I know it is stressful for you and I am here to help

They would have given IV fluids and if it was within two hours- decontaminaton with activated charcoal

Paul

He had half a large pill (for dogs weighing 75lbs more than him. Should I give him a pill tomorrow to induce eating. Hi

Hello.

Still here.

Dealing with another dog that overdosed on narcotics- uggh

I dont think that you need to give an appetite stimulant. That is not my primary concern right now.

What drug do you have that you wan to give?

It’s an appetite stimulator that I had to give my min-pin who passed away in Feb. then my older 15 yr dog had to be put to sleep 2 weeks ago. I feel so guilt not seeing the info on the box. A generic statement said “for dogs over 5#’s, etc. Iis it common to be lethargic for 24 hours?

I would not give that to him

Probably Mirtazapine or Cyproheptadine

Either way- no

How is he doing now?

How long is my Rocky supposed to be tired and lethargic?

It will vary in each case

But I would expect him to start improving today

How is he doing now? Eating? Drinking?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian