Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My day at super fast a couple of hours ago and her stomach…

My day at super...

My day at super fast a couple of hours ago and her stomach is hard and she has thrown up and her poop wad hard and mucusy the last time she went

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Elsa and 1 hr and about 5 months she weighs 8 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?

No I don't think so

11/17/2017
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry to here that. What breed is she?

She is mix I adopted her from the humane society
I can't call right now

Hi it's common for young dogs to eat to fast and to get a stomach ache afterwards. We commonly call this "food bloat" where there stomach seems painful and even hard and distended. If she is dry-heaving or unable to keep any food or water down, that is a bad sign. Otherwise, typically the food will slowly move out of the stomach and digest over the next 8 hours or so.

After the first time of throwing up she was doing fine and she has been able to keep water down

That's great! If the vomiting starts up again, let me know but it sounds like this was just temporary. Mucous stools just means that the bowels were upset for some reason. It is typically not anything to worry about. I hope this helps.

Heath Wilkerson
Thank you
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson