Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had diarrhea today and threw up. I gave him a little…

Customer Question
My dog had diarrhea...

My dog had diarrhea today and threw up. I gave him a little pumpkin and a few pebbles of food. Now he seems to be acting usual

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Idk hes 8 months and is alway into everything. I didnt notice anything recently for the past few hours he has been just sitting up very serious. not lying down and he keeps moving to out sitting postions

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Winston

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?

Hes 9 months.. 65 pounds

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 9 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear that.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 9 months ago

There are a lot of different causes for diarrhea and vomiting. Sometimes it's just temporary (maybe he ate something he shouldn't have and this was his body's natural way of getting rid of it). If he vomits more than 3 times today or if his diarrhea lasts for longer than 24 hours, I would start to think about stepping in to prevent dehydration. If he is acting normal now and can keep some food and water down, it was probably just temporary.

But what about him Sitting and not wanting to lie
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 9 months ago

That could be because his stomach is painful. We also see this with knee pain or back pain, so it's hard to say without examining him. Is he stretching himself out into a praying position (trying to stretch his abdomen out)?