Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is pooping a lot of blood. he had diarrhea and then

Customer Question
He is pooping a...

He is pooping a lot of blood. he had diarrhea and then needed to go out again. This time he pooped nothing but blood. he has a lot of digestion issues. It was really scary

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Chai, 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chai?

He had pancreatitis about 7 months ago. He is on a diet of chicken rice and eggs with supplements. Also takes probiotic. He has struggled with food allergies snd vomiting in the past.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I dont like to have to say this but he needs to be examined tonight.

This could be toxic bowel syndrome or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.

Both are serious and need to be treated sooner rather than latger.

Can you get him to the ER tonight?

Paul

No. We are traveling and in Seattle. He is coming to the work conference with me in the am and then we are getting on a plane for a 4 hour trip back home to Chicago. I will not be able to take him until Saturday morning.

Okay

Well we have to hope that we can keep him stable tonight.

Do not feed him anything

Give him lots of water and/pr pedialyte

Buy some Imodium and give him 0.1 mg/kg orally three times a day

Monitor for more blood in the stool or vomiting

Buy Zantac and give him 1.0 mg/kg three times a day orally.

Update me in a few hours if you can

Make sense?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian