Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dr., Dr., Dr., Dr., my dog is a 13 year old Labrador with…

Customer Question
Dr. Andy, Dr. Andy...

Dr. Andy, Dr. Andy, Dr. Andy,

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dr. Andy, my dog is a 13 year old Labrador with one back leg and severe arthritis in the back leg. Currently he is taking Rimadyl and Tramadol as well as cannabis drops to control the pain. However, our vet recommended we switch him to Galliprant because it ostensibly does not have negative affects on the liver. About two months ago, his liver exam showed some abnormal values.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Oliver. Olllie also has a deep red inflammation to his hair on the interior side of the arthritic leg around the where the knee joint is and also on his stomach near his penis. It started out as a pinkish color about 2 months ago but the color has deepened to a blood red recently. Our veterinarian is stumped as to what the coloration is from. He thought it was an allergic reaction - however Ollie does NOT lick the area at all and never has. So evidently it doesn't itch or bother him. Do you have any idea what the red coloration could be from?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?

We haven't given him flea medication in 3 months.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm sorry your question hasn't been answered sooner, I know you were asking for Dr. Andy but I'm not sure when he will be back online. If you would like, I can try to help, I have over 13 years experience as a veterinarian. Or if you prefer to wait for Dr. Andy, I can opt out.

Dr. Beth,
I originally sent the message to Dr. Andy because, as I understand it from his description on the justanswer website, he specializes in dermatology. If you do not have any specialty in dermatology, I'd like to wait for Dr. Andy's response.

I am not a dermatology specialist, I will opt out and hopefully Dr. Andy will be online for you soon-