Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6yr old old English bulldogg just ate a dicolax

Customer Question
My 6yr old old...

My 6yr old old English bulldogg just ate a dicolax suppository!!! what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dicolax suppository

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 6yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Harley?

She is also currently taking an anti-inflammatory for a possible ACL tear in her left hind leg and she takes apoquel for allergies

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Harley. Just a moment while I review your question and type my response.

Just to confirm, you mean "Dulcolax" suppository?

How long ago did he eat it?

I am going to be logging off for the evening. Since I haven't heard a response from you, I'm going to Opt Out of your question so that another available veterinarian can assist you should you return.

Well now I'm not entirely positive that she ate it. The wrapper was laying on the floor next to her and she had been crunching on something. When I examine the wrapper there were no teeth marks or anything on it
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Fortunately, even if she had ingested the suppository, it wouldn't be toxic for her. Diarrhea might be seen since, after all, this is what laxatives can do but other than loose stools, I wouldn't expect there to be any issues.

Since it looks as if she didn't eat the suppository, she's not likely to develop diarrhea but if she does, a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem within a relatively short period of time.

I hope this helps, Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog; I assume she's fine but wanted to double check. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian