Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Boxer having an allergic reaction. Hives, eyes swollen and

Boxer having an allergic reaction...
Boxer having an allergic reaction. Hives, eyes swollen and round bumps all over. She is itching and hyperactive
11/17/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Sasha.

I'm so sorry to hear that she's feeling so uncomfortable.

How much does she weigh?

I'm I correct in understanding that you gave 50mg Vistaril tonight, 2 hours ago? Did that reduce any of her hives or swelling around her eyes?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
65 pounds it does help. This is a less intense repeat of last night
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can I give her another 25mg of vistaril or Benadryl? She seems calm now but does become very hyper and itching bad. She was shaking earlier, I sat with her and she has calmed down

Vistaril and Benadryl work by the same anti-histamine process. Vistaril is just a newer generation of the drug and has less of the side effects.

If it has been 2 hrs since the last dose, I would recommend giving another 25mg of the Vistaril.

She can then have 75mg every 8hrs (starting the clock from that first dose 2 hrs ago) if the itching and hives persist.

A cool water only bath can also help to reduce her itching and applying a cool pack above her eyes for 10-15min will help to give her some relief from the swelling and itching on her face.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you very much for your advice!

You are very welcome. I wish you both all the best!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Christian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian