Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 7 year old standard poodle has always had problems with…

Customer Question
Our 7 year old...

Our 7 year old standard poodle has always had problems with ear infections and we treat it with epi-otic and Elsie's ear powder and a few other things the vet recommends. Even though we have been vigilant with the treatment, this year it has progressed into something much worse. She has had courses of antibiotics but only kept getting worse. Now her ear sometimes leaks out brown water that smells really bad and she is having trouble breathing. She often has sneezing fits and sneezes out goo from the nostril the same side has her bad ear. Her ear and now her nose is very irritating to her and she is becoming depressed.. The vet stuck a camera up her nose and took a sample of her nazel lining but nothing was found except that her nose lining is very inflammed. We are out of ideas as to what could be wrong with her or how to make her more comfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the standard poodle can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the standard poodle's name?

Bam Bam

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has your vet discussed referring Bam Bam to a specialist to have a CT/MRI scan performed?

Has the exudate from the ear been cultured yet?