Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My sons chihuahua mix is not eating, drinking or active as…

My sons chihuahua mix...

My sons chihuahua mix is not eating, drinking or active as usual. All of his skin, ears, eyelids, gums are yellow. I'm suspecting leptospirosis?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is***** is a year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pekas?

We live out country. While visiting his sisters house Pekas got into some rotten fish. We have rats and slugs that we keep under control at home but unsure about his biological sisters place.

11/17/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your son's dog Pekas's loss of appetite, lethargy, and jaundice (yellow color to the skin, mucous membranes and sclera).

Jaundice is commonly associated with liver disease and an increase in bilirubin due to the sick liver's inability to clear bilirubin.

But jaundice can also be related to red blood cell lysis and increased amounts of red blood cell pigments overwhelming the liver.

Certainly Leptospirosis would be a concern, but so would tick borne diseases like Babesia or Ehrlichia, and so would a congenital type of liver disease called a portosystemic shunt (seen in higher frequencies in small breed dogs like Chihuahuas).

If the fish was rotten then salmonella and other food poisoning types of bacteria need to be considered as well.

Most dogs with Leptospirosis are running a high fever and have tremendous thirst. It is possible that he has Leptospirosis, but I would not discount the other disease processes I mentioned until some diagnostic testing has been done.

As sick as he is he needs to be seen on an emergency basis and supportive care including fluids and antinausea drugs being started while waiting for test results to come in.

If he were my patient I would want to check a complete blood count, biochemistry profile, urinalysis and a tick panel to start.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian