Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, is acting a bit lethargic, and was shaking a bit…

My dog, is acting...

My dog, is acting a bit lethargic, and was shaking a bit when I picked her up and she also seems to be congested/wheezing. Should we go to emergency vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help,. How old is,?

6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about,?

She was recently spayed about two weeks ago.

11/17/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I ​need to ask a few additional question to see if it is an emergency Is she having trouble breathing? What color are her gums? Any nasal drainage or coughing? Will she get up and walk around?

She seems to be breathing just fine. Her gums are like a light pink. Maybe a little nasal drainage. No coughing. She can walk but she doesn't really want too. She won't come when called which is unusual.

I​f she is breathing fine and her gum are still pink then you can monitor her for now. If she is not back to normal in the morning she should see the vet.

If her gums turn pale white, purple, or grey she should see the vet right away.

Ok, thank you. That's what we will do.

If she becomes too lethargic to get up and walk then take her to the ER vet as well.

Ok, I keep a very close eye on her.
She is our baby so I just want to make sure she is ok.

In addition if she seems to be having trouble breathing or she starts coughing a lot or coughing up phlegm then she needs to see the ER vet tonight.

Ok, will do.

If she has some clear nasal drainage she may be coming down with a viral dog cold. She may develop other signs like coughing or lack of appetite.

Ok, should she go to the vet for that? Or is there something we can do at home?

For home care you can try steam. Take her into the bathroom and turn the shower on and let her breathe in the steam.

Ok, I will try that if needed.

There really is not an effective or safe over the counter medication for chest congestion in dogs. If she has nasal drainage or sneezing you can try over the counter human Benadryl. 1 mg of Benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours. For example a 10 pound dog can take 10 mg of Benadryl every 12 hours.

Alright, that makes sense.

If she will not eat for 24 hours, she has yellow nasal drainage, or eye drainage, she is coughing a lot, or the wheezing gets worse then she should see the vet.

You could also take her temperature to see if she has a fever. Normal for a dog is 100-102.5 F

Use a human oral thermometer. Put a little ky jelly on the tip and insert into the rectum for three minutes or until it beeps.

If her temperature is over 103.5 F then she should see the Er vet tonight.

I will try that. Thank you.

Y​ou are welcome. Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

I don't think so.

O​kay. I hope she feels better : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian