Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His face is very swollen and around his eyes, as well. It is…

Customer Question
His face is very...

His face is very swollen and around his eyes, as well. It is also quite red.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is almost 2 years old. It should be noted he is a pug.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ollie?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Please hurry. I'm extremely worried. We are first time dog owners and have never had an emergency before.

Busy typing out your answer now, you should have it in a few minutes ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear that Ollie has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot be 100% sure over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop as time goes by. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind. While sometimes quite spectacular this is rarely a serious condition.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK.
However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

3. But if your dog deteriorates at all, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling and itchy skin or it does not quickly resolve then you should have your local vet check your dog over ASAP. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ollie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ollie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning .his facial swelling ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian