Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's a 2 1/2 year old Airedale who had severe bladder

Customer Question
She's a 2 1/2...

She's a 2 1/2 year old Airedale who had severe bladder infection at 4 months. She has allergies. The only food she's been able to eat without diarrhea is Now Fresh. Her PH is 8 and she had crystals with a bit of leakage. The vet wants her on Hills Prescription for urinary issues. I've been mixing it for the last week 1C Now Fresh to 1/2 C of prescription morning and night. She's scratching and biting and has very loose poops. I'm afraid if I up the mixture to 1/2C Now Fresh with 1C prescription she may get full blown diarrhea and suffer dehydration.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not really. She's getting me up through the night to go poop.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. Has she had any more infections since she was 4 months old?

no
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok, thats good. With the crystals and the elevated pH has she had an x ray to check for bladder stones? Its unlikely if there is no blood in her urine, but worth checking.

I think with her history of allergies, a diet change may not be in her best interest. The Now Fresh has a stew I believe, and adding in some soft food would be a good way to increase moisture in her diet, which would help to decrease crystal formation.

A urinary acidifier like Methionine may be of use to help decrease her pH without having to adjust her diet. Also, adding in a cranberry supplement is sometimes useful.

Post back with further questions!

Dr. Snow

The vet insists on her diet being changed. She's now going to try Royal Canin for urinary issues. I'm not happy with this as the food costs almost $100 after taxes for an 18 lb bag! This is going to cost me $200 a month. She's getting a cranberry supplement along with probiotics. I also add water with her food. The dog is also on Apoquel for the allergies which again is costing $70 a month.
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

If you're not happy with the diet change, then you have the right to ask for another option. It would be worth seeing if the elevated pH and crystals are repeatable before making a diet change you're not comfortable with.

Has she had an x ray?

You can buy urine strips on Amazon and check her pH yourself throughout the day and see if is consistent.

Like I mentioned before, adding in a urinary acidifier instead of a diet change would be worth a try first if the elevated pH is consistent.

Dr. Snow

Well after she wet the bed Mon night through 7 layers of linens (4 loads of laundry) I took her to another vet. She did blood work and tested her for infection. She believes even at 9 months she was spayed too early and the lack of estrogen has affected a valve that relaxes too much when she sleeps and results in this leakage. She's put her on Stilbestrol for a short period of time. She's recommended a different food. All her test results came back normal. She also said PH should only be tested first thing in the morning (fasting) as any amount of food will raise PH levels.
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago
it sounds like incontinence. Glad you got a second opinion