Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 44 pound dog just ate a 150mg Wellbutrin XR. I read that…

Customer Question
Hi, my 44 pound...

Hi, my 44 pound dog just ate a 150mg Wellbutrin XR. I read that the toxicity dose is 10g/kg, which she would be under — but I’m wondering if I still need to take her to emergency. [It’s nighttime here, and that’s the only thing open.] Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Her name is***** is a 9 month old Collie mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?

She was spayed two days ago. Very high energy, and I think she got bored. I didn’t realize she wasn’t chewing on her bone until she’d already swallowed one pill :/

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I agree with you, the normal minimum toxic dose where we could possibly see signs of toxicity for Bupropion { Wellbutrin } is 10 mg per Kg of bodyweight, your dog weighs 20 kg so this works out as an ingestion of 7.5 mg / Kg in Penny's case.

2. Given the above there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, you may perhaps see some small degree of transient lethargy and sedation, but really I would not expect to see worse than that at the dose rate that Penny took.

3. Of course if any odd symptoms do occur then you should have her checked over by a local vet ASAP, this would be unlikely though. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Penny's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you. I forgot to mwntion that she also had 100mg of carpeofen about 30 minutes prior to chewing open the bottle & injesting the bupropion.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. 100 mg of Carprofen is in fact an overdose for her weight, we usually give 2 mg per pound of body weight once daily. But this was just a very small overdose so I would not expect and adverse side effects and in any case interaction with the Wellbutrin should not be a problem.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I should say: the label says 100mg, but they gave them to me in a baggie broken in half for post-spay pain. Perhaps it was only 50 in a half-tab? Anyway, thank you for your advice. I read that the XL tabs may take a bit longer to process, but so far (45 min after ingestion), she is doing alright. Thank you for your guidance.

No problem, very glad to be advising you, you are probably right about the Carprofen, but in any case this is not going to make things worse.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Penny is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Wellbutrin ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi. She is doing well -- thank you for calming my worries about it!Kristine

Hi Kristine,

Thanks so much for the update, glad Penny came through this OK.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian