Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate cheese wrapped in a piece of plastic wrap.

My dog ate cheese...

My dog ate cheese wrapped in a LONG piece of plastic wrap

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Willow, 1 1/2 years, Labrador retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willow?

Ni No

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

15 minutes ago

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually the chances are that a larger dog like Willow will get away with this, but there is an outside chance that a long plastic object like this could cause an intestinal tract blockage, such long objects can sometimes tie the intestinal tract into knots.

2. Given the above risk one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the plastic that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite and signs of abdominal pain.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Willow's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott