Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11 yr old female boxer seems to feel warmer to the touch

than usual; she is breathing...
My 11 yr old female boxer seems to feel warmer to the touch than usual; she is breathing heavier than usual -- she was treated by our vet 2 weeks ago (Halloween) & was given anti biotics, vitamins, appetite stimulants as she hadn't eaten in 5 days... she was doing very well until today, when she is kind of listless and just lying around sleeping... she is still drinking water, but she is just not acting like my Lily...I think she has a fever...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Boxer's name?
Customer: Lily (Munster) is her registered name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: Not that I can think of - our vet did bloodwork and said there were no parasites or cancers, really didn't mention an infection, but DID give her an antibiotic. She had been throwing up & had diarrhea during the illness...
11/17/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lily. When she saw your veterinarian, were any tests done? Blood tests, X-rays?

Can you take her temperature rectally? Normal is 101.5.

If you lift her lip and check her gums, are they pink in color or pale?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Dr Jackson, our vet, did bloodwork & said she had no parasites, cancers, etc. She said Lily was in remarkable condition for an 11 yr old boxer. Lily's gums are pink, don't look pale - she does have some teeth that don'[t look good -- can't take her temperature, rectally...

You can't diagnose cancer from blood tests really, but it is good she had normal blood tests. That must mean her liver and kidney values are normal.

Good she has pink gums. That means even though she is breathing heavy, she is getting air in and out of her lungs.

Bad or infected teeth can cause pain and fever.

The heavy breathing worries me. If I could, I would listen to her with a stethoscope and if it sounded abnormal, take a chest Xray.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks... I will get her to our vet 1st appt available.

You are welcome; I think that is best. Please let me know how she is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please be advised our Lily girl died on 11/19 -- thank you again for your help.

Oh, no! I am so sorry. My sincere condolences. Thank you for letting me know.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian