Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 50# mix breed dog that sniffed/put her lips to…

Customer Question
Hello we have a...

Hello we have a 50# ***** breed dog that sniffed/put her lips to some coolant. How much is toxic where we should take her to the vet. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes she just put her lips to some antifreeze

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No she’s been very healthy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry that this happened. I am working on a response right now.
Okay thank you
the minimum lethal dose is 4.4 mls/ kilogram of body weight. She is roughly 20 kgs. So if she did not ingest any of the coolant you should be fine, but if you are unsure or you think that she ingested some it is best to take her in to either induce vomiting and /or be given activated charcoal to prevent absorption. There are other treatments that are helpful if we are concerned about the possibility of toxicity. The most important thing is being proactive now and not waiting until there are issues with her kidneys etc. Now if you are absolutely positively that she did not ingest any and you don't have a vet close by, then all you can do is monitor her.Typing more....
How long ago did this happen?
Were you present when she was exposed to the antifreeze?
There is an antidote for this toxicity called 4-MP that can be given if we are sure that she ingested it. Most vets carry it.
Any questions?
I am so sorry that this happened. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Again, how you approach this situation all depends on confident you are about whether or not she ingested any.If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Please keep me posted on how she is doing.Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
My husband was he said it was about a hour ago and she might have had one lick but that was it
Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for your reply but it didn't come through right away. One lick shouldn't cause a problem but please keep a close eye in her the next 24 hours. Make sure she is not lethargic or depressed. Monitor drinking and urinating. If you notice any changes, take her in.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
I just wanted to check in and see how things are going. Did everything turn out ok.
Just thinking of you and hoping all is well.