Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She can’t stand, she collapses and her head is tilting to…

Customer Question
She can’t stand, she...

She can’t stand, she collapses and her head is tilting to the right. Her eyes are twitching back and forth.she is unable to stand she keeps collapsing to the right, her head is tilting to the right as well. Her eyes are twitching back and forth. Her paws are cold

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is 14yrs old. She is a ***** ***** Terrier mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chucky?

14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chucky?

We think she’s been having seizures in her sleep

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
I am so sorry to hear about Chucky.
The first thing that comes to mind with the symptoms that you are describing is geriatric vestibular disease. It is quite common in older dogs. It can develop very suddenly and can look very serious. The good news is that if this is the diagnosis, these pets can actually do very well after you manage their current symptoms. Typically these pets are treated with anti nausea medications, motion sickness medications and ear meds if there is an established ear infection.
Most of the time these pets do not require steroids or antibiotics.
Time is the most important factor as far as healing in these pets. Often there is not significant underlying disease and as long as you treat the motion sickness so they are able to eat and drink they will generally recover.Typing more...
Now, that being said, I am not there to examine her so if it does appear that she is having seizures and there is something else going on, it is important to have the issue evaluated by your vet. Either way, she should have an exam and blood work to rule out any other significant disease process.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Please keep me posted.
Also, if you provide me with her weight, I can give you a Benadryl dose which can sometimes help with motion sickness and vomiting.Sincerely, ***** *****
Any questions about the information that I provided? Just wanted to check to see how things are going.
I just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole