Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started vomiting this morning. Lots of dry retches…

Customer Question
My dog started vomiting...

My dog started vomiting this morning. Lots of dry retches with occasional white/clear foam. She is still eating & drinking. Only has dry food for breakfast & gave here that in two separated parts. Seems better after food. Was all fine the. Started again at 1400ish. Movement or excitement seems to exasperate it. Has just calmed again now. She is in season. At 5he bleeding stage which she does clean 95% of the time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

I thought it was beacause she randomly ate 4/5 weakish vitamin C tablets yesterday when I was having a mega clear out & dropped a pot, but it seems to be going on to long. We have a massive garden but I have not found any abnormal poos

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. Sometimes we do see dogs in season that will exhibit signs of vomiting but ingested items can also cause vomiting such as the vitamin C tablets. Vomiting can begin within hours and last for days, in some cases.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Overnight it has turned into more of a honk.
I'm 99% certain it's kennel cough now.
Thank you

Thank you for your reply, JACustomer. There was no discussion in the original post about coughing. Are you seeing vomiting or coughing?

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

The retching has turned into a honky type cough which is still making her sick but literally white foamy phlegm stuff with a couple of biscuits in it.
Thank you we are good now.

If this is kennel cough, it may not respond to the information above as this will treat a GI upset but not coughing to the point of vomiting.

Most kennel cough cases are viral, but secondary bacterial bronchopneumonia can develop and become a major health hazard for dogs. In some more severe cases, hospitalization may be needed. I would recommend an exam and having your vet start your companion on antibiotics to prevent more problems in the near future. As far as calming the coughing, for the time being you can use robitussin at the following dosage: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1395 Every vet has a different kennel cough treatment protocol and may ask you to either continue or discontinue the robitussin once examined.

Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse