Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has small particles that look like sand on the top of…

Customer Question
My dog has small...

My dog has small particles that look like sand on the top of his head under his fur. What could this be? After trying to remove the sand-like substance, I find his skin is raw and seeps a clear, clogging fluid. Help, please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 2 yrs., 7 mos. old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pen?

??? I don't think so. Otherwise, he seems healthy.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

CAn you share a few pictures of what you're seeing?

Not at this time. The sand has gone now and a sore (looking like a scab over a raw area remains. I have been treating it with a niacin (steroid) salve. I am on my way to the shower and am indisposed at this time. Can send pics later.
Send pics later.

I'll keep an eye out for pictures.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.