Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chow of 15 yrs thru up dark coffee ground consistently…

Customer Question
My chow of 15...

My chow of 15 yrs thru up dark brown coffee ground consistently liquify vomit, what’s going on

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Smoky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smoky?

Full blooded chow 15 yrs old( human yrs) . No special diet everything is normal. He rests a lot but that’s do to his age I would think

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. That coffee ground appearance to the vomit usually indicates digested blood from the stomach or small intestinal tract. There can be many reasons for that, but severe gastroenteritis, a stomach ulcer, cancer, a blood coagulation problem and an intestinal parasite are usually the first concerns we have. With a dog his age, cancer in the stomach or small intestinal tract is usually the first concern. My best advice is to get him to your vet to get checked out. They may need to run some blood work or get an x-ray. The only thing you can really do at home is give Pepcid or Prilosec (2.5 mg per 10 lbs of body weight for either) daily, but that may only help if there is an ulcer. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Smoky is doing and to see if you have any other questions.