Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Had to switch his puppy food, but did not have time to do a…

Customer Question
Had to switch his...

Had to switch his puppy food, but did not have time to do a gradual transfer. (old food came from breeder and we were not able to get any locally) Now he has stomach issues ... wondering if adding rice or something or some probiotic might help the little guy out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Gunner

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gunner?

He recently had a bout with Giardia... but that has passed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What symptoms are you seeing? Vomiting? Diarrhea? Any blood in the stool?

Vomit. Loose stool / sometimes mush

Unfortunately, with the vomiting present it's unlikely rice alone is going to do the trick. The intestines are inflamed from the fast switch and he will need to be be switched to a bland diet for a while then slowly switched on to his new food.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Gunner feeling today?

Much better. Bland food is taking down. Pepcid helped. Had to give water using a baby seringe because he was not drinking. Today he is drinking and eating. Still loose stool but far less frequent. No vomit.

Excellent. With the bland diet the stool typically improves within 12-24 hours of receiving it so improvement should be right around the corner. Please keep me posted on your progress. I'll check in again with you here in the next few days.

Checking in. How are Gunner's stools today? Improved?

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy