Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog swalled a small, circular bone yesterday. He threw it…

Customer Question
My dog swalled a...

My dog swalled a small, circular bone yesterday. He threw it up right away after choking on it, and the bone was still whole. My boyfriend took him to the vet and they didn't treat him because he threw up the bone. Since then, he goes through phases where he breathes very fast and heavy; other than that, he breathes normally. He also has thrown up several times, sometimes containing the food we've given him and sometimes what looks like spit. I've just given him some brown rice to see if he can hold it down. Should we take him to the emergency vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

The bone that he threw up right away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Fred. He's five years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fred?

He has thyroid issues and heartworms that cause him to breathe heavily already and occasionally hack like he's trying to throw something up, but this is usually very normal with him. Since he swallowed the bone, though, he's been breathing very fast and throwing up everything he eats

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he on any medication at this time?

How frequently is he vomiting?

What type of bone was this he originally consumed?